Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Watching the Mets game with my sons



























Last night I was folding laundry with MLB Network on. They were doing MLB Tonight where they jump from game to game, or as I call it, heaven.

My boys were playing with their animals and kind of watching the TV.
They played little league this year and their team was the Mets. MLB Network cut to the Mets and Reds who were scoreless in the bottom of the 9th.

My son Matty got excited when he saw the real Mets were on the TV. My son Aidan looked up as well.

Aidan figured out how to read the score. Mets 0 and Reds 0.

"Who are you rooting for, daddy?" Aidan asked me.
"The Mets." I said, completely disappointing the 14 year old version of me angry about the 1986 World Series.

The boys started cheering. "Go Mets!"

Brandon Phillips singled starting a potential game ending rally.

I explain that if the Reds score a run, the game is over.

"Boo Reds!" They yelled.

We watched the game unfold. Matty asked me "When do the Mets bat?"

I replied "If the Reds score, they won't bat again. All the Reds need is one run and they win the game."

A look of urgency went across Matty's face. He figured out the scoreboard as well. Mets 0, Reds 0.

Jay Bruce got a hold of one and it went higher and higher until it cleared the fence for a walk off homer.

"That's it." I said. "The Mets lost."

Aidan looked angry. "But the Mets should get another chance to hit."

"Nope", I said. "They had their chance."

"That's not fair", Aidan pouted.

Matty kept looking at the TV screen. Something didn't make sense.

"Daddy" he asked. "Why did they get three runs?"

"He hit a home run" I explained. "So all three runners scored."

"But Daddy," Matty continued. "If they only needed one run, why did they get three?"

"Well, the home run was worth three runs." I said.

Matty kept looking at the TV. "That doesn't make sense."

He might be right.

Aidan then turned to me and said "When is hockey on?"

 Follow sullybaseball on Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment