Saturday, September 29, 2007

Don't make history, Mets!

Come on Mets! Don't lose today! Don't let the Phillies clinch today!

When I wrote my "Who Should I Root For" segment for the NL East, I thought I had to do it quickly before the Mets ran off with the race.

September 3 was a lonnnng time ago.

I talked to a few of my Mets fans friends before the game last night... and they all sounded like the Mets were 9 1/2 games out on the last day of the season.


There was no talk about what the Mets had to do, any chance of winning and hopefulness for the playoffs.



"I can't believe we're not going."
"The year is lost."
"I hope the Phillies get swept."

I'd say "You two are TIED!"

Not anymore.
Last night's 7-4 loss to the Marlins had to be the low point of the season.

They lost a big game to Byung-Hyun Kim. Yes, THAT Byung-Hyun Kim. The one who makes Armando Benitez look like has the guts of Patton.

(Side note... what team would have both Byung-Hyun Kim and Benitez on their pitching staff and expect to win big games? Just a question to the 2007 Marlins.)

Well the team that was up by 7 games 17 days ago is now 1 back... that's dropping almost a game every two days. While playing the pathetic Nationals, the phoning it in Cardinals and the aforementioned Marlins squad.

That's almost impossible! To a Phillies team with no pitching staff!

CHIN UP METS!

Here's what happens if you wake up, and win these games:

1. You go to the playoffs.
2. You have homefield.
3. You'll play teams that are VERY flawed
4. You'll have as good a chance as anyone of winning the National League pennant.
5. Nobody will remember the lousy September (who remembers the lousy finish of both of last year's World Series participants, the Cardinals and Tigers?)


Here's what happens if you keep struggling and miss the playoffs:

1. People will talk about this collapse forever (don't believe me, ask the 1964 Phillies)

2. Remember those clips of Bucky Dent, Bill Buckner and Steve Bartman? They'll be showing clips of the 2007 Mets... trust me, it's not fun having those rubbed in your face!

3. Remember all the claims that the Yankees were done and it was a Mets city earlier in the year? Yankee fans do. Yankee fans with ammo are never fun to be around. Trust me.

4. If you thought it was bad just blowing a lead... imagine blowing a lead to Philadelphia. Those fans are always known for their class, right?


So COME ON!
John Maine is pitching against someone named Chris Seddon. I wouldn't recognize Chris Seddon if he came up up to me in full uniform and said "Hi, I'm Chris Seddon."

Let's go Mets!
Have one more great moment before you move to that stadium built to honor the Dodgers.
(If for no other reason than to give us some drama in the last day.)

No comments:

Post a Comment